SBY calls for of UN Security Council to Enforce Peace making for the People of Syria
Oleh : Desk Informasi
- Dibaca: 729 kali
On the eve of the Islamic Holi month Ramadhan, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono held a special press statement to respond to the situation in Syria. Indonesia as a G20 country, a founder of the Non Aligned Movement (NAM), the Organisation for Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the Group of 77 and China, and ASEAN, but more than that the largest Muslim populated country in the world, deemed it necessary to speak out on this important issue at this critical time.
"Today, as the Head of State and Government of the Republic of Indonesia, I would like to present our position concerning the latest situation in Syria. In particular, on the dire need for the international community to take concrete steps in addressing this critical development. Moreover, within the next one or two days, the Islamic ummah all over the world will conduct their fasting during the holy month of Ramadhan" SBY urged
President SBY underlined that Syrian people, like all Moslems worldwide deserved the right to observe the Holi month of Ramadhan.
"Like many Moslems in other parts of the world, our Moslem brothers and sisters in Syria also hope - and pray - for peace and serenity in their homeland as they perform their religious obligation during Ramadhan" he stated
President SBY also viewed the situation in Syria had reached a critical point, and if this continued, will increase the number of casualties. He viewed that the situation should no longer be tolerated, where concrete measures must be taken both by Syrians as a nation, and by the international community. Hence Indonesia's proposal on Syria was suggested as follows:
"Firstly, on the urgent basis, at this very moment, there must be a halt to the violence and the fighting. In my opinion, the situation in Syria already constitutes a civil war. This is the first step that should be taken, and Indonesia strongly hopes that at this very moment, the UNâ€”the UN Security Councilâ€”should immediately agree, to take such an action"
"Secondly, if the current mandate is not effective to end the ongoing violence and heavy armed conflicts, Indonesia believes that it is now timely to consider adjusting the mandate according to Chapter VII of the UN Charter. This adjustment, in essence, would transform the main mission of the UN, from merely peacekeeping to peacemaking"
"Thirdly, I also would like to recommend that efforts for peace-making are truly aimed at establishing peace that is currently absent in Syria. However, these peacemaking efforts should not be linked to, and should not always be linked to, the demand for change in political authority nor the continuation of the government now in power in Syria"
President SBY believed that the Syrian people could decide its fate. He also believed that the P5 could play a positive role in the formation of peace making force under the UN Flag. But it was crucial that immediate steps be taken by all parties.
"In my view, it is very important that we take immediate steps to prevent the situation in Syria from turning into a catastrophic humanitarian tragedy. I believe, the responsibility to put an end to this situation, is not only on the hand of the Syrian people and government, but also on the international community" SBY concluded.
- SBY Shares Indonesia’s Outlook for Middle East Region (64)
- SBY & Hamdallah Charts the Course for Indonesian-Palestine Relations for the Next 5 years (275)
- King Abdullah II and President SBY discuss Regional Issues in Jakarta (240)
- Trade and Diplomatic Outreach: SBY Inaugurates New Indonesian Trade Minister and 8 New Ambassadors for 15 Countries (530)
- SBY Calls for a Reawakening of Islamic Golden Civilization in the 21st Century through Jakarta Musabaqoh (277)
- Adding to Strength: SBY welcomes new T50i Golden Eagle Jet Fighter Squadron (444)
- Secretary Dipo Alam delivers President SBYs Invitation letter to Iranian President Rouhani (476)
- SBY Receives 13 New Ambassadors to Indonesia (395)
- SBYs Outlook for Indonesia when it Reaches 305 Million People in 2035 (428)
- President SBY dispatches Double Mission to Switzerland: Davos and Montreux (485)